Green Pasture Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend – 120 Capsules
Derived from the fatty liver of Gadus morhua , the cod liver oil benefits have been recognised as far back as the Viking era. In those days it was an important part of the Nordic diet, especially during the dark winter months when exposure to sunlight was minimal.
Today, the nutrients found in fermented cod liver oil are as essential to the growth and development in children as it is to preventing age-related diseases, just like it was hundreds of years ago.
Cod liver oil is one of my favorite supplements and I recommend it for everyone. Cod liver oil benefits are far reaching; it’s a rich natural source of omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA), vitamin D, vitamin A, vitamin K and many other co -factors and nutrients which are very beneficial to health but at the same time deficient in most people.
So let’s look at some of its benefits and how cod liver oil can help you improve your health with just one teaspoon each day:
5 Health Benefits of Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil: Rich in omega-3 fatty acids and excellent source of vitamin D and A
The reason that cod liver oil is considered a superfood is because of its high content of essential nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA), vitamin D and vitamin A, all are healthy fats , and deficient in the conventional modern diet.
Important nutrients in cod liver oil:
- Omega 3 (EPA / DHA): Studies on people whose diets are enriched with omega-3, indicate that it lowers blood pressure, improves heart health by increasing HDL (good) cholesterol, reduces joint pain As one of the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids in nature, a single teaspoon of cod liver oil contains about 400 mg of Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
- And 500 mg of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA); Two types of omega-3s that reduce inflammation, risk for chronic diseases, and play a significant role in brain function and mood. Since the body does not produce omega-3s, the only way to get these benefits is to consume it in diet. This can be achieved by consuming more flax, hemp, chia and fatty fish, or simply taking a supplement such as fermented cod liver oil.
- Vitamin D: A hormone that our body produces when we spend time in the sun, vitamin D helps keep bones strong and healthy. It also improves the immune system, blood circulation and health cardiovascular.
- People living in the northern hemisphere are often deficient in vitamin D, which can lead to muscle weakness, depression, brittle bones, fatigue and an increased risk of several cancers . Although vitamin D is found in very few foods, cod liver oil is one of the best dietary sources for this vital nutrient. Each teaspoon contains about 450 IU of vitamin D.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A is an antioxidant that is essential for maintaining good vision, normal growth and development of cells, improve immune system function and prevent cáncer. One teaspoon of cod liver oil has 4,500 IU Vitamin A, which is a very good amount.
- Unlike other multivitamin supplements containing vitamin A in synthetic form, cod liver oil is a natural source of vitamin A and does not carry the same toxicity concerns as it is a complete food. In fact, vitamins A and D and omega-3 fatty acids have a synergistic effect when taken together, and all are found in cod liver oil in significant amounts.
Prevents heart disease
Because people have been taking cod liver oil for centuries, almost a thousand studies have examined their effects on the mind and body. One particularly active area of research has been the benefits of cod liver oil for cardiovascular health.
Due its abundance in vitamins and omega-3, cod liver oil can help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels , lower blood pressure, discourage the buildup of plaque in the arteries and prevent blood clots.
Cod liver oil strengthens the entire cardiovascular system by preventing many of the factors that can lead to heart disease in the first place.
Combat pain and inflammation safely
Decreasing, and sometimes replacing, the need for ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), cod liver oil has been used as a treatment for:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Neck and back pain
- Migraines and musculoskeletal pain.
In all cases, cod liver oil naturally reduced the intensity and frequency of these painful conditions. And unlike NSAIDs, cod liver oil is a much safer alternative to consistent pain relief.
Protects and ensures bone health
Vitamin D is just as important as calcium when it comes to maintaining strong bones and preventing loss of bone density.
A natural way to prevent diseases such as osteoporosis and rickets which is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D and calcium, is to take a daily dose of cod liver oil . The high vitamin D content in cod liver oil addresses many bone problems associated with these diseases by helping the body to better absorb calcium. This, in turn, increases bone mass and density.
It is a quality food for the brain
Omega-3 fatty acids play a key role in brain function throughout life.
One study showed that when ingested omega-3 (specifically DHA) during pregnancy, the effects on the child’s cognitive development are powerful.
With improved brain and eye growth while still in the uterus, children whose mothers supplemented their DHA diets during pregnancy and lactation had greater verbal intelligence and visual recognition memory as they matured.
At four years of age, they showed greater intellect compared to their peers. In contrast, lack of DHA in the maternal diet has been associated with reduced language, fine motor skills, communication and social skills as well as low IQs.
Benefits of cod liver oil beyond childhood
Beyond childhood, adult brains continue to benefit from dietary DHA. In another study, in the course of only 35 days, healthy subjects between the ages of 22 to 51 years who consumed one teaspoon of fish oil each day experienced significant improvements in attention, reaction time and cognitive performance in Comparison with the placebo group.
Eating foods high in omega-3s still supports the brain even in old age. After 26 weeks of taking half a teaspoon of fish oil daily, subjects aged 50 to 75 years showed significant improvements in cognitive function and an increase in gray matter volume in the brain, according to study results.
Balances the mood naturally
In addition to improving intellectual ability, omega-3s are closely associated with mood and behavior.
Numerous studies have shown that people who have very low levels of omega-3 EPA and DHA in the body, are anxious and frequently depressed, get angry quickly, are more impulsive and experience recurring mood swings.
On the other hand, consuming more omega-3s helps fight depression and anxiety, while reducing aggression and hostility. The omega-3 EPA and DHA found in cod liver oilmay also be useful as a complementary treatment for mood disorders such as major depression and bipolar disorder.
How to consume fermented cod liver oil
Cod liver oilcan be found in supplement form and sold in capsules, liquid and gel. Naturally the taste is not very good, but you can add it in juices, smoothies, lemon water or you can simply buy a variety with added flavor.
While the nutrient content of cod liver oil varies by brand and method of production, here are some general guidelines to follow when taking fermented cod liver oil:
- From 3 months to 12 years: A dose of 5,000 IU of vitamin A, equivalent to a teaspoon of cod liver oil.
- From 12 years and upwards: One to three teaspoons of cod liver oil per day.
Note: Cod liver oil may act as a blood thinner.
–https: //www.ncbi .nlm.nih.gov / pubmed / 18053324
-http: //www.greenpasture.org/public/FAQ/index. cfm
-https: //www.ncbi.nlm.nih. gov / pubmed / 16531187
-https: //www.ncbi.nlm.nih gov / pubmed / 18362100
-https: //www.ncbi.nlm. nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3046737/
-https: / /www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17383013